Friday, March 6, 2009

Youth of the Nation

I'm typing today from Christian Life School in Kenosha, WI. I am a substitute today for a creative writing class. I was talking with the five students that are left in the class, and they said that seven of their other classmates have dropped the class. They said, "why would they do that?" My response was some youth are more analytical so they are drawn to science, some have a creativity that draws them to art, music, and writing, and others are more mechanical and are drawn to working with their hands. Creative thinking really is for a smaller group, but I believe sometimes technology takes away creativity because it thinks for you. You become accustom to a computer or other piece of technology to think for you.

But looking at these youth the past so many months, I have found that they are far more connected to life than those in my generation or maybe the one after. I would imagine that this age of technology where your mind is flooded with energy coming from every angle, you must be aware of the motion that is around you at all times. My daughter can watch TV, listen to her Ipod, do homework and attempt to keep a conversation going with me all at the same time. I guess I am one of the few in my generation that finds myself doing the same thing, but I believe that the "noise" of this world is pulling us from focusing on reality and the truths of life. We seem to fill our lives up with stuff to be ever moving, but not moving with focus or relevance. Maybe when I was a teen I only looked as far as going to work, getting that next assignment finished, or wondering if I was going to that party next Friday night, but I believe because we are not plugged into our Creator, we "fill" up with stuff because when we get drawn into that quiet place, we find ourselves fearful. Well the class is done, I gotta run, finish later........

No comments:

Post a Comment